Each year, the Church of Panagia Evangelistria (Our Lady of Good Tidings) draws thousands of pilgrims seeking the aid of the church's miraculous icon. According to local lore, one night in 1822, a nun named Pelagia dreamed the Virgin told her where to find a miraculous icon. Initially afraid no one would believe her, Pelagia finally went to the bishop and told her story. The bishop, convinced of her piety, ordered excavations to begin. Before long, the remains first of a Byzantine church and then of the icon itself were unearthed. As is the case with many of the most holy icons, this one is believed to be the work of Saint Luke.