The first Cusco Cathedral was built in 1539 at the Suntur Wasi, current Iglesia del Triunfo, but in 1560 there was an order to build a new cathedral on the Kiswir Kancha lot, palace of Inca Wiracocha. The actual Cathedral was declared built in 1664, more than a century after.
The design is constituted by a latin-cross base, the façade has a Renaissance style, very ornamental, and it contains the best manifestations of colonial goldsmith and wood carving, as well as a valuable collection of canvases from the Escuela Cusqueña (Academy of Cusco). There are two auxiliary chapels on its both sides: Capilla del Triunfo and Jesus, Maria y Jose.
The building process had two stages. First, they constructed the Capilla del Triunfo over the old Suntur Wasi (House of God) temple.
Afterwards, they erect the cathedral over the Palace of Inca Wiracocha. The Renaissance style is predominant in the façade and the inside the building, the inner decoration is rich in cedar and alder carvings. The choir and the pulpit stand out due to their beauty. It keeps an important collection of the Academy of Cusco and repoussé-silver objects.
By DonMartini @ 2007-05-03 09:16:50