Gonggar Choide Monastery
The monastery, which was built in 1464, belongs to the Zung branch of the Sakyapa (meaning "grey earth") school of Tibetan Buddhism. It is 400 metres (1,300 ft) south of the Lhasa road. The principal founder of the Dzongpa Tradition was Dorje Chang Kunga Namgyal (1432–1496). The main monastery of the Dzongpa is Gongkar Chode just south-west of Lhasa on the south side of the Tsangpo River.
In the 16th century, the monastery was beautified with wall paintings of the Khyenri school of Tibetan paintings done by the well-known artist of the times, Jamyang Khyentse Wangchuk (b.1524).