Ryde Pier is an early 19th century pier serving the town of Ryde, on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England.
The pier was designed by John Kent of Southampton and its foundation stone was laid on 29 June 1813. The completed pier opened on 26 July 1814, and was, as it still is, a timber-planked promenade. The structure was originally wholly timber, and measured 527m. By 1833, extensions took the overall length to 681m. It is this original structure which today carries pedestrians and vehicles.
By kjfitz @ 2006-04-15 20:33:33