Saint Elizabeths Government Hospital for the Insane
By AlbinoFlea @ 2005-09-27 22:45:09
One of the DC Preservation League's Most Endangered Places for 2003.
Established as the Government Hospital for the Insane in 1855, Saint Elizabeths has a long history in the treatment of the mentally ill. The site is composed of more than 300 acres in the Anacostia section of Southeast Washington, DC. To the north of the oldest of these buildings is a magnificent vista over the city of Washington and the Potomac to Virginia, a prospect that had been chose for curative purposes. The buildings to the east of Martin Luther King Ave., which are owned by the DC Government, are largely of the twentieth century and both sides have a campus layout with a succession of quadrangles, with curving drives between. There are just over forty contributing historic structures.