By kjfitz @ 2006-12-02 16:53:18
Schloss Benrath is a Rococo maison de plaisance near Düsseldorf that was erected for the Elector Palatine Palatine Carl Theodor von der Pfalz by his garden and building director and garden survisor, Nicolas de Pigage (1723 - 1796). It was begun in 1755, and by the time it was completed in 1770, some elements of Neoclassicism were detectable in its interior finishing.
Two symmetrical wings flank the central corps de logis. The Museum for European Garden Art was founded in the east wing of Benrath in 2002. The west wing houses a museum of natural history. Changing exhibitions and concerts of music are presented in the main block, which is bereft of furnishings.
The ensemble at Benrath is designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.