The HMS Onyx was an Oberon class submarine of the Royal Navy. Originally ordered for the Royal Canadian Navy, Onyx was transferred to the Royal Navy whilst under construction at Cammel Laird shipbuilders in Birkenhead, England. She was launched on August 1966 and commissioned into the Royal Navy in September 1967.
The first commission of the Onyx saw her visit Swansea in South Wales for the investure of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales. She also attended the bicentennial celebrations of the United States of America in 1976.
HMS Onyx was the only non-nuclear submarine of the Royal Navy to take part in the Falklands War. The smaller displacement of Onyx compared to the nuclear submarines made her ideal for landing SAS and SBS troops close to the islands in shallow waters.
Defence cuts in the UK saw the Royal Navy dispense with its diesel-powered submarines to concentrate on nuclear attack submarines. In 1991, the Onyx was decommissioned from the navy. She is now cared for by the Warship Preservation Trust and is on public display alongside several other ships in Birkenhead, UK.
HMS Plymouth was a Rothesay class frigate in the Royal Navy from 1959 to 1988. Plymouth was built at Devonport Naval Dockyard and was launched by Viscountess Astor on July 20, 1959. She was named after the English city of Plymouth.
During her lifetime, Plymouth served in a variety of locations, including the Far East and Australia. She saw action in the Cod Wars between the United Kingdom and Iceland and also the Falklands War in 1982.
Plymouth was one of the first Royal Navy ships to arrive in the South Atlantic following the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia. Plymouth alongside HMS Brilliant and HMS Endurance took part in the recapturing of South Georgia on April 28. Plymouth landed Royal Marines from her Westland Wasp helicopters and bombarded Argentine troop positions on the island. Later her Wasp helicopter took part in an attack on the ARA Santa Fe, which was badly damaged and later caputured by Royal Marines.
After South Georgia was liberated, Plymouth rejoined the main task force, taking part in many operations before the landings at San Carlos Waters. Plymouth supported troops on the ground by bombarding Argentine troop positions with her two 4.5 inch guns. On June 8, a lone Plymouth was attacked by Mirage fighters of the Argentine Air Force, and managed to shoot down two with her Sea Cat missile system. However, she was hit by bombs and cannon shells, causing considerable damage to the ship. Plymouth returned to Rosyth Naval Dockyards after the war for repair and refit.
After decommissioning in 1988, the Warship Preservation Trust acquired the ship for preservation. In 1990 the ship was towed to Glasgow and placed on display at a berth on the River Clyde. Subsequently she was relocated to Birkenhead for display alongside other ships and submarines.
Category: Sea - Military - Surface Warfare