Worsley Delph and entrance to underground canals
By Hinkkanen @ 2006-03-28 13:23:00
The Bridgewater Canal was opened in 1761 to carry coal from Duke of Bridgewater's mines at Worsley. The Duke's land agent, John Gilbert, saw that it was possible to connect the canal directly to the mines by way of an underground canal. This in turn could be used to help with draining the mines, providing a source of water for the canal. 47 miles of underground canals were constructed, on four different levels, connected by a water powered inclined plane and lifts.