St. John Chrysostom Monastery (Russian: Златоустовский монастырь) is a Russian Ortodox monastery founded in Moscow and first mentioned in 1412 when a Novgorod archdeacon was buried there. In 1478, Grand Prince Ivan III, who had a suburban palace nearby, had the wooden cathedral rebuilt in stone. In 1660 this cathedral was replaced by a new five-domed cathedral. It was damaged and restored many times. In 1706 the monastery hegumen was raised to the rank of archmandrite.
By valeryan @ 2009-02-24 07:07:30