The original Hopkins House (now the west wing) is a Georgian style building built in the 1740s. The newer east wing was a project of the Works Progress Administration. Beginning in 1935, WPA workers began to widen and straighten the narrow, winding Cooper River and to fill in its marshy banks for use as a recreation area. The old west wing, which now houses galleries for the display of art, was renovated by the WPA in 1938-39. The newer east wing, which houses the offices of the CCCHC, a storage space, and public restrooms, was added at that time.
Homes - Historic