The name of the lane on which the farm is located suggests that it once led to a Lime Kiln or possibly more than one kiln which were used for the calcination of limestone to produce ‘quicklime’ which was used on farms as a soil conditioner. Quicklime neutralises soil acidity and is believed to increase earthworm activity which benefits soil structure resulting in better quality crops.
On Street View in September 2010 the farm buildings are pictured before there later renovation and in the building closest to Lime Kiln Lane is an old green tractor.
It is not clear at the present time what agricultural activity is being undertaken on the farm.
At the time of the 1881 National Census the farmer was recorded as Thomas Hulme who was 50 years of age and farmed 120 acres.