Smiths Creek Depot was built on the Grand Trunk Railway in 1858 in Smiths Creek, Michigan nine miles southwest of Port Huron, and served both as a train stop and home to the stationmaster and his family. Like many small-town stations of its day, the railroad depot was a bustling center of travel, commerce, and communication. Smiths Creek Depot was more than a place to catch a train. The stationmaster, sold tickets and worked the telegraph machine. People could also mail packages and send telegrams.
As a boy during the Civil War, Thomas Edison worked as a trainboy out of this depot, selling newspapers and candy aboard trains to passengers traveling between Detroit and Port Huron, Michigan.