Remains of Undercliff State Hospital. Operated from 1910 to 1976. The hospital was first built under the name Meriden Sanatorium to serve children with tuberculosis, German measles, chickenpox, and smallpox, but began to accept adult patients in 1939. In the early 1920s, the site name was changed to Undercliff Sanatorium. In 1967, it was changed once again to Undercliff Mental Health Center.
There have been numerous reports of hauntings at the site of the former hospital. Older Meriden residents claim that the children who died at the sanitarium were buried in unmarked graves in the woods behind the buildings. Some allege to have heard the voices of children, both laughing and crying, while others have claimed to see the shadows and spirits of children in the windows of the now-empty buildings. Inside the buildings it is supposedly possible to hear the footsteps of patients running from orderlies as well as the screams of the mentally ill undergoing treatment.
By Xeba73 @ 2013-09-02 02:17:40