The Adath Israel Congregation was organized in 1923 as an outgrowth of a Hebrew Sunday School established the previous year. Initially meeting in the Cleveland School, the congregation built the Adath Israel temple in 1927 in the Byzantine style. The first congregation president was J.S. Borodofsky, and Jacob Halevi served as the first resident rabbi. The Adath Israel Sisterhood was organized in 1922. A temple annex, designed by architect Harold Kaplan of Greenville, was completed in 1949-1950. The Temple is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.