This church is located in the Saint Jean quarter and was built in the 4th century. The Saint Jean district with Saint Georges' and Saint Paul's district form the quarter known as Vieux Lyon, one of the jewels of Lyon.
In 1420, after the seizure of Lyon by the French monarchy, Lyon became a trading center thanks to the set up of free tax markets. For more than a century foreign bankers settled in the city, among them many Tuscan and Genoese. One of the offsprings of the most famous Florence dynasty, Marie de Medici, would meet her future husband here, Henry IV. They married in the Saint Jean cathedral in 1600.