Schloss Cecilienhof is in the Northern part of the New Gardens in Potsdam, close to the Jungfernsee lake. It was the last palace built by the Hohenzollern family. Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany built it for his son Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany and the crown prince's wife Duchess Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The house was designed by Paul Schultze-Naumburg to look like an English Tudor country house and was built between 1914 and 1917. Its design was based on a house called 'Bidston Court' (later 'Hillbark') on the Wirral Peninsula. which in turn was inspired by Little Moreton Hall.
The Potsdam Conference was held at Cecilienhof, from July 17 to August 2, 1945. The participants were the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The three nations were represented by Communist Party General Secretary Joseph Stalin, Prime Minister Winston Churchill and later Clement Attlee, and President Harry S. Truman.
The palace was used for the G8 foreign ministers summit on May 30, 2007.