In 1787, when a merciless snow storm fell upon Monterrey, Fray (brother) Rafael Verger decided that the time was ripe to erect a Catholic Diocese, in order to supply a shelter to the matters of Faith and, moreover, to provide an occupation for all the impoverished and famished indigenes, who were suffering due to the extreme climate conditions.
Some time later and owing to its strategic location at the top of a hill, this religious seat performed as a fortress, when the United States troops invaded Mexico in September of 1846.
Years later, Pancho Villa took this jewel of colonial architecture as his headquarters. From those violent times there still remain the artillery and bullet holes upon the walls.
Since September 20th, 1956, this palace became seat to the Museo Regional de Nuevo Leon. It is placed in the western end of the Padre Mier Avenue, at a distance of two and a half kilometres from the centre of the City.