Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, NE. corner Abercorn and E. Harris Sts., is one of the largest Roman Catholic cathedrals in the Southeast. The building, which shows Gothic influence, is a handsome white stucco structure with two tall spires. A feature is the iron bell of single swing and knocker. The present structure, completed in 1876, was partly destroyed by fire in 1898 and rebuilt two years later around the original walls.