Ascension of the Lord Cathedral, Târgu Mureș
The Ascension of the Lord Cathedral (Romanian: Catedrala Înălţarea Domnului) is a Romanian Orthodox cathedral in Târgu Mureş, Romania. It was built between 1925 and 1934 on the initiative of Archpriest Ştefan Rusu. As the seat of an archpriest and not a bishop, it is a church and not technically a cathedral, but is commonly referred to as such.
The Cathedral's cornerstone was laid on May 10, 1925, an event witnessed by, among others, the Minister of Religious Affairs, Alexandru Lapedatu, Bishop Nicolae Ivan, and Octavian Goga, who was a government minister at the time.
The cathedral was built according to the plans of architect Victor Vlad of the Polytechnic University of Timișoara, in the form of a Greek cross. The total cost of the building was estimated at 20 million lei.
The iconostasis was built in 1934 by Traian Bobletec of Nazna
By Cornel @ 2013-06-10 04:12:11