Blohm + Voss is a German shipbuilding and engineering works. It was founded on April 5, 1877, by Hermann Blohm and Ernst Voss as a general partnership named Blohm & Voss. A shipyard was built on the island of Kuhwerder, near the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, covering 15,000 m² with 250 m of water frontage and three building berths, two suitable for ships of up to 100 metres length. The company's logo is a simple dark blue rectangle with rounded corners bearing the white letters "Blohm+Voss".
The building contract of the Battleship was placed on 16 November 1935 with Blohm + Voss, as New Construction "F" later named Bismarck and the keel was laid on 1 July 1936.