Ceres was founded in 1856 by M.C. Lottrup, N.S. Aagaard and Knotty Lien and was then the 7th brewery in Aarhus.
Around 1857 drew N.S. Aagaard and Knotty Lien from the brewery's ownership, and MC Lottrup drive now Ceres alone until his death in 1868. Then took his son, L. Christian Meulengracht, ownership, which drives it forward to around 1900. He followed in M.C. Lottrup's footprint, was more internationally oriented and modernized the brewery.
The top modern brewery quickly became known for producing quality beer, and became known outside the city limits.
In 1868 shifted ownership of Ceres over to the newly formed group Østjysk Breweries A / S.
In 1914, Ceres was recognized as Supplier to the Royal Danish Court.
In 1950 Ceres lagers named "Top", which many assumed stood for "Tradition and care."
In 1956 changed Østjysk Breweries A / S name for Ceres A / S and in 1964 respectively 1965 took over Ceres Brewery Vendia and A / S Pompus factories on Amager, where they established their headquarters at the latter address, which however was settled again in 1989 . Ceres moves in the near future all its production Faxe.
In 2008 the brewery closed.