The monument is made of granite and marble, with a 60 foot pillar rising into the sky topped with a Confederate soldier. The letters “CSA” (for Confederate States of America) and a medallion of “Old Tice” are engraved on the front of the monument base, above the motto “Confederate” and a dedication stone.
The other three sides pay homage to the cavalry, infantry, and naval forces. Surrounding the base are statues of General Robert E. Lee, General Stonewall Jackson, General Albert Johnston, and President Jefferson Davis.
The monument was built by Frank Teich of San Antonio, Texas, and dedicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Dallas Chapter. No.6, on June 25, 1896. It was originally located at Old City Park but was relocated to Pioneer Park in 1961 due to construction on R.L. Thornton Freeway. It is believed to be the city's oldest outdoor sculpture.