Didcot Railway Centre, located in the town of Didcot in the English county of Oxfordshire, is based around the site of an old engine shed which became redundant due to the rationalisation of the UK railways, as well as the gradual switch from steam to diesel power.
The Great Western Society was offered the use of the site and took it over in 1967. The society has a comprehensive collection of Great Western Railway locomotives and rolling stock. There are two short lengths of running track, each with a station at both ends, the shorter of the two lengths has a reconstructed station named Didcot halt at one end and a mock-up of sheds used between switching between gauges at the other end, this is where the Firefly can be found, the other length of track has a prefabricated cpncrete station at one end next to the entrance, and a newly built reconstructed station at the other end.
The site retains many of its original features including the 1932 engine shed, turntable and coal stage.
The centre regularly holds events such as steam and diesel railcar days. Members of the Great Western Society are active in the preservation of locomotives and rolling stock and as of 2005 several locomotives such as King Edward II are being restored, in addition to the restoration of rolling stock such as coaches.
The railway centre is accessed through Didcot Parkway railway station, which links the centre by rail to London and much of the south and central England.