Fort Perchrock is a coastal defence battery built 1st of March 1825 and the 30th April 1829. at New Brighton at the mouth of the Mersey, England. It was built to protect the Port of Liverpool ans as a fortified lighthouse to replace the old perch Rock Light. It was originally cut off at high tide, but now coastal reclamation has made it fully accessible. It is currently open as a museum.
The Fort covers an area estimated at about 4000 yards. It was built with red sandstone acquired from the Runcorn Quarries. The height of the walls ranges from 24 feet to 32 feet. The towers are 40 feet high.
The Fort originally had a drawbridge and a Tuscan portal which bore the coat of arms and the words 'Fort Perch Rock'. The actual Fort was built on an area known as Black Rock.
At one point, the Fort was armed with 18 guns, of which 16 of them were 32-pounders, mounted on platforms. In the Fort was enough space for the accommodation of 100 men.
The Fort was nicknamed the 'Little Gibraltar of The Mersey'.