Għallis Tower (De Redin Tower)
By adrbr @ 2010-12-19 15:39:14
The De Redin Towers are a series of thirteen small fortified watch towers that Grand Master Martin de Redin of the Knights of Malta built on the island of Malta between the year 1658 and 1659. The towers are in sight of each other, and provided a communication link between Gozo and Grand Harbour, in addition to functioning as watchtowers against attack by Corsairs.
The design is based on the design of the last of the five Lascaris towers, the Sciuta (Xuta) tower (1640) at Wied iz-Zurrieq, built by de Redin's predecessor, Grand Master Juan de Lascaris-Castellar. The locals refer to both the five Lascaris towers and the thirteen de Redin towers as "de Redin towers".
Many of the towers still exist in good condition today and most are accessible to the public.