The two-story concrete brick fire station, constructed in 1909, initially housed horse-drawn equipment and horses and was the last station in Wichita to be converted to motorized vehicles. Built to serve as a front line fire house for the south side of Wichita, the station was active until 1953, when a new fire station #6 was built at Santa Fe and Mt. Vernon. It was then used by the Wichita Fire Reserve until 1988 and is now the home of the Kansas Firefighter's Museum.
By kjfitz @ 2008-01-31 14:58:13