The Majestic, like the rest of downtown East St. Louis, has been in a state of decay for years.
The Majestic Theater opened in 1928, as part of the St. Louis-based Samuel Komm Theatre chain. The theater closed in 1960. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. As of 1998, a state bill had been floated to fund the building's restoration; the building's unchanged condition since attests that the effort ended with no results.