Spreckels Temple of Music
By kjfitz @ 2006-10-16 10:45:34
Page & Turnbull served as historical architects in preparing a plan of preservation strategies, completing measured drawings and a historical survey, code analysis and design review of the proposed seismic work and sandstone repair.
Designed by the Reid Brothers in 1899 and named for Claus Spreckels, the bandshell stands on the site of the 1894 Midwinter International Exposition in Golden Gate Park’s Music Concourse. The Italian Renaissance-inspired terra cotta and sandstone bandshell held its inaugural concert on Admission Day, 1900. Seriously damaged in the 1906 earthquake it was closed following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.