The Royal Thai Embassy began its operation in 1901 as the Siam Legation with Minister Plenipotentiary as its Chief of Mission. Its first office was located in Arlington, Virginia, before moving to Washington, D.C., in 1913. While in Washington, D.C., the Office was relocated several times, until the Royal Thai Government decided to acquire a plot of land at 2300 Kalorama Road in 1920. By 1921, a new office was built and the Embassy was later upgraded to the Ambassadorial level in 1947. It was there, where our Embassy remained for 46 years, until 1993.
With the increase in the number offices affiliated with the Embassy, it became necessary to acquire a new building. Therefore, in 1990, the Royal Thai Government gave the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the mandate to undertake the acquisition of the present premises at 1024 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., to accommodate all offices but one under the auspices of the Royal Thai Government.
By AlbinoFlea @ 2006-07-12 16:47:44