Built in 1880, the Steventh Regiment Armory, commonly known as Park Avenue Armory, served as the headquarters and administrative office of the 7th New York Militia Regiment which was also known as the Silk Stocking Regiment since much if the militia's makeup was New York City's social elite.
The building was named a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
Currently, the building is leased by Park Avenue Armory which is a not-for-profit arts organization and is used by a number of veterans organizations, women's mental health shelters, and for afterschool programs.
Park Avenue Armory is in the middle of a $200M renovation of the building with architectural firm Herzog & de Meuron. Currently two of the historic rooms have been completed with another 16 planned.
In 2006, Park Avenue Armory leased the building from New York State for 99 years.
By jdubble07 @ 2016-01-21 08:08:12