The Science Place is one of the most compelling and unique museums in the Southwest United States. Offering three distinct areas of specialization (exhibit halls, a planetarium, and an IMAX® Theater) as well as hosting the oldest science preschool in the southwest. It opened in 1946.
The Science Place is about discovering the joy of learning through over 200 hands-on exhibits, larger than life films.
* Hosts almost 150,000 students and teachers each year through school programs
* Will take "hands-on" science to 50,000 students this year through visiting schools through our "on-campus" programs
* Largest provider of the Arts Partners Scholarships
* Offers free scholarship based hands-on traveling science trunks for schools
* Provides Professional Development Workshop for teachers each year through a certified Teaching Training Program
* Received a 100% satisfaction rating of excellent or good in teacher evaluations for the 2001-2002 academic year.
* Received surveys revealing that 85% of teacher evaluators gave The Science Place programs the highest mark of excellent and 15% rated them "good" in 2001-2002
* Hosts more than 7,000 students in camp-ins and workshops annually for students of all ages
* Has the oldest science preschool program in the Southwest
* Is the site for five Head Start classrooms
* Is home to Dallas' only public Planetarium
* Receives assistance from more than 300 capable community volunteers annually
* Offers overnight Camp-Ins to groups, including Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Camp-Fire, and Dallas Boys and Girls Clubs
* The Science Place, over the summer of 2002, had over 90+ teenage volunteers that worked throughout the museum.