The Elsinore Theater, which opened on May 28, 1926, is famous for its Gothic style architecture. Into the 1970's and 1980's, the Elsinore operated as a "first run" movie house. But with the decline of the facility, it became a "second run" house, and in the early 1990's the Elsinore closed. Act III Cinemas, which owned the theater building, gave it to the Salem Theater-Auditorium Group Enterprises, who with grants, renovated the historic space into a performing arts center. Classic movies are presented on many weekday evenings, and if the movie is a silent classic, then it is accompanied on the mighty Wurlitzer, 3 manual 26 rank, theater organ. Interestingly, the Elsinore's stage house was originally part of the Capital Theater on the other side of the block.
See also: http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/the-capitol-theatre/
The Elsinore Theatre
By jbottero @ 2015-03-21 17:18:43
@ 2021-12-15 13:53:55
Everything stated here is true except for the statement concerning the Capitol and Elsinore Theatre's stage houses being part of each other originally. They never were. George B. Guthrie, who was the owner and operator of the Elsinore beginning in 1926, and Frank Bligh who was the owner and operator of the Capitol--also beginning in 1926--were competitors. The separate nature of the stage houses is observable to this day in 2021. However, the operators of the Elsinore use the Capitol stage house as a storage warehouse of sorts.