The Metro Theater opened as the Metropolitan Theater on April 23, 1924, built by Samuel H. Levin. In 1941, the Metropolitan Theater was extensively remodelled and it reopened as the Metro Theater. In the mid-1950’s the Metro Theater was home to the just emerging San Francisco Film Festival. The Metro Theater continued to operate as a single screen theater until its closure in October 2006. Today, the restored exterior is all that remains, the inside being remodeled for use as a gym.