Approximately in 1850, the Municipality of Catania purchased the villa that belonged to the Paternò Castello family, in order to build a public park. Later on, the Municipality also bought new land and today it covers the overall surface of approximately 71.000 square metres. In 1932, the ancient entrance of Via Etnea was turned into a monumental one and a large basin was created, which is now the dwelling place of beautiful white swans. The Villa is a leisure place, where to go for a walk or to meet friends. In the last few years it has been hosting shows, which enliven the evenings of the residents and tourists in Catania.