This dramatic fortress stands over the city, 475metres above sea level. It is one part of the Forte Sperone together with the Forte Castellaccio. Genova depended on this trio of forts to defend it. Built by Sheban military genius between 1819 and 1823, the Begato fort could hold 840 soldiers and 41,000 kg. of munitions in the powder store. It has a rectangular barracks, with robust buttresses on the corners and a large 'recinto a fuso'. At present this is the only fort which is involved in restoration works. The fort will host a museum of the history of Genovese fortifications and a history of music. There will also be a centre about the monitoring and safeguard of the territory. From the fort, there is a fantastic view of the historical city, the Polcevera valley and the western coast with its modern docks.