Langelands Fort and the beginning of the Cuba crisis of 1962
By Dania @ 2011-05-18 08:34:30
Langelands Fort was a manned fort in the Royal Danish Navy until 1993 and is now a museum. It was built in 1953 to monitor and prevent the wartime hostile ships passing through Langelandsbæltet. The remedy for this was 4 gun positions equipped with 150 mm guns. One of these positions are now opened to the public.
Down in the bunker is an opportunity to look at both the gun and hand ammunition to the Government. There are also bedrooms with 12 beds for the crew of 15 men.
Operation bunker was fort main nerve center. Here are the radar screen, plotterbord and short when the price of enemy ships and planes drawn, and from there went out the central gunfire control of the fort's 150 mm guns and antiaircraft batteries in the north and south.
The bunker was manned around the clock and appear still fully operational.
During the Cuba crisis of 1962 was Langelandsfortet with Stevnsfort the forts that could keep up with Soviet shipping in Danish waters. However, it was Langelandsfortet, along with Hammerodde Lighthouse and Lightship Gedser Rev who initially discovered the Russian merchant ships with missiles on Cuba
It was also here that you saw that Nikita Khrushchev ordered the ships back after the conversation with John F. Kennedy. Third world war was prevented.