Tuckahoe, also known as Tuckahoe Plantation, is located on Route 650 near Manakin, Virginia overlapping both Goochland and Henrico counties. Construction of Tuckahoe began in 1733 by William Randolph II on land patented by his grandfather in 1695. William Randolph was the cousin of Jane Randolph, wife of Peter Jefferson. When William Randolph died in 1745, he named Peter as family guardian. The couple moved from Charlottesville into the house with their two year old son, Thomas Jefferson. They lived in the home until 1754 and for 7 years young Thomas was tutored with his cousins. The management of the plantation was turned over to Thomas Mann Randolph in 1757.
By LancelotLink @ 2010-07-13 07:39:16