TAIPEI is mnemonic for Technology, Art, Innovation, People, Environment, and Identity. 101 represents the concept of striving for beyond perfection.
Taipei 101's pinnacle reached full height on Oct. 9, 2003.
The multi-use structure will house retail facilities on Levels 1-4; a fitness center on Levels 5-6; offices on Levels 7-84; restaurants on Levels 86-88; observation decks on Levels 89, 91, and 101; and communication facilities on Levels 92-100.
There is a station for the Taipei Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) beneath the building awaiting the eventual construction of the Hsinyi line.
On December 15, 2004, Toshiba installed the world's two fastest elevators. With top speeds of 1010 m/min, observation deck visitors can whiz from Level B1 to 89 in 39 seconds.
A 900-ton tuned mass damper is installed on the 87th floor to counter earthquakes and typhoons. It will be available for public viewing from the restaurant levels and observation deck.
By jphilb @ 2006-01-26 10:41:50
- Supertall Skyscrapers by kkeps
- Tallest Building in Each Country, Part 2 by kkeps
- World's Tallest Buildings by kkeps
- Major Stock Exchanges by fin
- World's Tallest Office Buildings by kkeps
- Emporis Skyscraper Awards by kkeps
- World's Most Expensive Buildings by kkeps
- 2004 Emporis Skyscraper Awards by kkeps
- World's Tallest Structures by kkeps