Myth has it that this shrine is built over the home of John the Baptist's parents, the Church of the Visitation honors the visit paid by the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus, to Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist. The grounds incorporate a natural grotto that once contained a small spring. The grotto became a place of worship in Byzantine times. The Crusaders built a large church over it, which collapsed after the Crusaders left. In 1679, the site was purchased by the Franciscans, who gained permission from the Ottomans to restore and build a shrine. The is a modern addition completed in 1955, designed by Antonio Barluzzi.