Brooklands, the first custom-built banked motor racing circuit in the world was opened in 1907. It was also one of the Britain's first airfields since 1908. During the WWI it was used for training and aircraft production (Sopwith, Bleriot, Martinsyde & Vickers). Motor racing ended to the WWII and the site was again used for aircraft production (Hawker & Vickers). Vickers factory continued until 1988-89 (part of BAC since 1960). In 1987 the site also became the home to the Brooklands Museum, which is dedicated to the site's motoring and aviation heritage.