Built in 1845, it is the oldest structure in Western New York that was built for and has been continuously occupied by African-Americans. It was a legendary rest stop on the "Underground Railroad" where, prior to the Civil War, fugitive slaves were hidden before escaping to Canada. Also, it was a meeting place for 19th century abolitionists. The Michigan Street Preservation Corporation is now directing a campaign to restore the site and create a museum.
By AlbinoFlea @ 2006-05-10 20:11:19