As both a working vessel and historic icon, the Charles W. Morgan is a reflection of America in more ways than we can imagine. During her career as a whaling ship, the Morgan provided
• Lubricating oil for industry machines;
• Illuminating oil for lighthouses, lamps and street lights;
• Whalebone, the flexible plastic of her time;
• Employment and investment opportunities for hundreds of people;
• An economic boost for her home ports; and
• Crew members from around the world who became U.S. citizens.
At the end of her whaling career, the Charles W. Morgan took her place as a National Historic Landmark, educational resource, film and media star, and a porthole into America’s rich and diverse past.
By kjfitz @ 2006-04-29 11:51:57