American Society of International Law (ASIL) (Tillar House)
By AlbinoFlea @ 2006-01-08 19:06:15
In 1959 ASIL acquired a permanent home: Genevieve Tillar, widow of Benjamin Johnston Tillar, gave her stately, embassy-like residence on Sheridan Circle, the heart of Washington’s Embassy Row, to the Society for use as its headquarters. Built by George Oakley Totten, the house is considered a historically significant Colonial Revival building.
ASIL President Charles Martin presided at the dedication ceremonies on April 28, 1961, which included speeches by The Honorable John J. McCloy and Professor Myres S. McDougal, the participation of descendants of four Society founders, and the reading of a letter sent by President John F. Kennedy.
7.2 (17 votes)