Lightship Nantucket #112
By kjfitz @ 2006-08-19 14:32:05
The Lightship Nantucket was the name given to the lightvessel which marked the hazardous Nantucket Shoals in Massachusetts. Several ships have been commissioned and served at the Nantucket Shoals lightship station and have been called Nantucket. It was common for a lightship to be reassigned and then "renamed" and identified by its new station.
The Nantucket station was the most significant lightship station for transatlantic voyages in the coastal waters of the United States. Established in 1854, the station marked the limits of the dangerous Nantucket Shoals and the eastern end of the Ambrose Channel, the main deepwater shipping channel into New York Harbor. She was the last lightship seen by vessels departing the United States, as well as the first beacon seen on approach.