The beginning of the third and current stage was marked by the acquisition in 1934, upon the arrival of Ambassador Oswaldo Aranha, of the permanent residence, a beautiful house designed by John Russel Pope, which was purchased for US$ 200,000. In that year, construction began on a one-story building for the chancery, on the same site, but with its entrance on Whitehaven Street. An upper floor was added in 1942. Thirty years later, the building was demolished. Shortly before that, in 1971, the chancery had been transferred to a building erected on the same property, but with its entrance on Massachusetts Avenue, designed by the architect Olavo Redig de Campos. Described by the American press as "a translucent crystal box", the building, which stands on concrete pillars, has three floors. All the walls are made of glass, giving the impression that it is suspended in the air. It is a stark contrast to the classic residence designed by John Russel Pope, but one that forms a harmonious whole, enhanced by the lawns and trees on the grounds.
By AlbinoFlea @ 2006-05-15 22:21:37