The massacre took place in Piazzale Loreto, 10 August 1944 in Milan. Fifteen anti-Fascist partisans and were shot by soldiers of the legion Ettore Muti, under the orders of the Germans, and their bodies were displayed to the public.
When the war ended, the site of the massacre and in memory of the martyrs who fell there was erected a memorial stone. This stone was replaced by a monument erected in August 1960 by the sculptor Giannino Castiglioni (1884-1971), located on the corner of the square and viale Andrea Doria. The monument, on the front, bears a bas-relief representing a martyr subjected to execution on the iconography of St. Sebastian, on the back is labeled "HIGH / THE NIGHT OF BOTH FELL IN THE NAME / OF FREEDOM" which follows the list of 15 fallen, the date dell'eccidio, August 10, 1944 and the symbols of the Italian Republic and the City of Milan.
Partisan memorial in Piazzale Loreto
By giove @ 2011-04-27 02:45:44
Nearby Maps (50 km): 424