"The Trinity House / Incorporated by Charter Granted by Henry VIII in 1514 // Trinity House is the general lighthouse authority for / England Wales and the Channel Islands a deep sea / pilotage authority and also administers charitable / funds mostly connected with seafarers. // The first Trinity House was at Deptford and then at Ratcliff and Stepney / in the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1660 Trinity House moved to Water Lane off / Eastcheap, the building being destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 / and subsequently rebuilt. It was again destroyed by fire in 1715 and the / Corporation then moved to the present site in 1795. Trinity House was partially / destroyed by enemy action in 1940 and rebuilt in 1953."