Château-Gaillard is a ruined medieval castle, located above the town of Les Andelys overlooking the River Seine, in the Eure département of Normandy, France. It is located some 95 kilometres (59 mi) north-west of Paris and 40 kilometres (25 mi) from Rouen. Construction began in 1196 under the auspices of Richard the Lionheart, who was simultaneously King of England and feudal Duke of Normandy. The castle was expensive to build, but the majority of the work was done in an unusually short time. Château-Gaillard was captured in 1204 by the French king, Philip II. In the mid-14th century, the castle was the residence of the exiled David II of Scotland. The castle changed hands several times in the Hundred Years' War, but in 1449 the French captured Château-Gaillard from the English for the last time, and from then on it remained in French ownership. Henry IV of France ordered the demolition of Château-Gaillard in the late 16th century.