Racing here dates back to the 1920's. In 1941, the RAF Croft bomber airfield was built on this site. After World War II ended, the airfield was abandoned, and local auto racers used the runways and service roads for racing beginning in 1948. In 1964, a permanent track was built here hosting several major events.
The track surface eventually deteriorated causing the track to close in 1981. It soon reopened for Rallycross (mixed surface) racing.
In 1997, the facility was completely renovated with an expanded 2.127 (3.423 km) mile circuit, new structures, and a new pit area. Several sports car and motorbike racing events are held here each year.
The venue has recently been fighting lawsuits brought about by local residents complaining about the noise.