An important town which flourished during much of the Bronze Age (2500-1600 B.C.). In archaic times a temple of Apollo was erected on the site. The one remaining column that stands has given its name to the area.
The prehistoric town (2500-1600 B.C.). During the Early Bronze Age (Protohelladic II) a developed walled settlement grew up on the site. Its most remarkable building is the so-called "White Building", a long two-storey construction which was covered with white plaster. The town continued to flourish during the Middle Helladic and Early Mycenaean periods (2000-1600 B.C.).